Sales and Marketing Manager Kaiwhakahaere Hokohoko
Sales and marketing managers plan and direct the development, promotion and sale of an organisation's goods and services.
Sales and marketing managers may do some or all of the following:
- plan the sales and marketing activities of an organisation
- help develop new products and services using market research
- identify new target markets
- analyse and report on advertising and marketing campaigns
- report on sales and make sure sales targets are met
- manage and develop sales and marketing staff.
Useful experience for advertising, sales and marketing managers includes:
- work as a sales representative
- call centre or other customer service work
- work in marketing and communications
- work in journalism, advertising or a media agency
- experience in human resources.
Advertising, sales and marketing managers need to be:
- persistent and motivated
- able to lead and persuade people
- enquiring and analytical
- good at networking and building relationships
- strong verbal and written communicators
- skilled at planning
- able to work well under pressure.
Sales and marketing managers need to have knowledge of:
- products or services they sell, the market for those, and how to advertise or promote them
- staff management and development
- marketing techniques and strategies, such as online marketing
- budgeting and finances, to help with costing products and services
- market research techniques.
Sales and marketing managers:
- usually work regular business hours, but may work weekends or evenings for special events
- spend most of their time working in offices
- may travel nationally to visit other branches of a company or organisation.
NCEA Level 3 is usually required to enter tertiary training. Useful subjects include business studies, media studies, design and visual communication (graphics), and English.
Sales and marketing managers may start as account managers (or in similar roles) before progressing to more senior positions such as regional manager or national manager.
Years Of Training3 years of training required.
To become a sales or marketing manager you need a Bachelor's degree in marketing, business, economics, commerce, or a related field.
You also need to have relevant sales or marketing experience.